Concussion Awareness Policy
CONCUSSION AWARENESS POLICY
- Referees and Coaches will remove any player suspected of having suffered a concussion (“When in doubt, sit it out…”). Such player cannot return to play, in either practice or a game, until they have been cleared to play via a written authorization by a medical professional. See the attached cheat sheet for help in evaluating whether a concussion may have occurred.
- Referee and/or Coach must alert the DSL Safety Coordinator in writing of the player who was removed ASAP after the suspected concussion incident and include the following information in their email:
- Name of injured player as well as team name
- Date, time and location of incident
- Indication as to whether or not parent was present (and if not present, whether or not parent was notified)
- The DSL Safety Coordinator will send a Concussion Notification Form (“CNF”) to the parents’ email ASAP after being alerted of the incident and follow up with a phone call, informing the parents that the player will not be allowed to return to play until cleared by a medical professional. Parents should sign CNF and return to Safety Coordinator.
- Parent will send written authorization from a medical professional to the DSL Safety Coordinator @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DSL Safety Coordinator to sign CNF to acknowledge clearance and alert Coach and Referee of player’s approval to Return to Play.
- DSL Safety Coordinator to store both Concussion and Notification Form in DSL archive.
Important Concussion Awareness Info: